Reliance Netconnect Broadband+ (Wireless broadband) + Linux
Update : friends ,with ubuntu 9.10 upgrade it seems the network manager is broken. it seems even the same is for fedora 12. so have to revert back to WVDIAL AND GNOME-PPP . or wait till it gets rectified.
* Ubuntu9.04, Network Manager will detect Ur modem automatically. Just click in network manager , and set ur username and password and u r done.
Else follow the steps below . Thankyou.
NOTE:This post is only specific to India , but if you like to configure huwaei or zte data card then you can check it out.
So Reliance. has launched Wireless Broadband. finally a couple of weeks earlier. It claims a speed uplink speed of 1.8mbps.
Lets give a reality check. BUT wait wait, this post was mainly a HowTo. guide to Configure Reliance Wireless Broadband in Linux.
BUT Before you get started, Statutory Warning: This Guide with all my good intention is to help people although i don take any responsibility in-case your system screams out loud and breaks down. But yes i really like to help you stay connected with Linux.
So lets get started.
What are the things you need to Keep in hand before you can start:
1. The modem of course and linux installation.
2. Windows xp installed box. Sorry dude.Have to find one. You see Reliance has made things difficult for us .
3. UBUNTU CD. ( You Might Need It).( Don worry ill not ask you to reformat).
4. The Reliance Modem software CD.(IT does’n have a thing for Linux but need it with XP to activate the connection).
Thats it now we can start.
1.First of course go buy the Connection and Datacard. DataCards are available across Reliance Communication all over the city.They’ll need 1 id prove and an local address prove. For outstation students an letter from college will do as address and id prove. But the most imp part is youll have to shell out 3500rs.
2. They’ll give you the card as soon as you submit the required documents and money. Then this is a postpaid connection so they’ll not activate you connection before verifying which address, ill take a couple of days max.(You need an windows preferably xp to activate the connection ,yes you have to activate your data card once they complete the process of activation, read the manual for the guide)
3. install the software in windows xp , Pluggin the datacard , it should install automatically (for huwaei) and then press activate in the software and follow the instruction what it speaks, you need a head phone here, but usually you have to press 1 once or twice after 30 sec of pressing activate).
4. Now come back to Linux :
Open the Terminal (Application->Accessories->Terminal)
5. Type SU (Super User, gives administrative privilege will need it little later). Key in the password .
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 12d1:1412 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
This thing pops Out
Note down the no just before Huawei or quallcom depending on which card you use . To my experience all cards of the same vendor will have the same id. like for Huawei itll be 12d1:1412.
modprobe usbserial vendor=0xAAAA product=0xBBBB ,
Where AAAA is 12d1 and BBBB is 1412 in my case.
Then you have to edit wvdial.conf file, type,
This will open wvdial.conf.
(NOTE: wvdial might not be installed , to install it .
Insert original UBUNTU CD
Go to System->Administration->software sources. add cd as a source and close . itll update itself, Then on terminal type,
sudo apt-get install wvdial .
And key in Ur password , that shall do.
NOW coming back to wvdial .conf. Copy and paste this overriding the previous setting in .
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Stupid Mode = 1
Modem Type = USB Modem
ISDN = 0
Phone = #777
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Username = 9310590985 (This is the no written in the back side and changes in every card).
Password = 9310590985 (This is the no written in the back side and changes in every card and is same as user name).
CBaud = 460800
Save it and exist .
Just enter terminal and sudo Wvdial
And your password to getconnected.
Best of Luck .
Ok, Now a quick review about its performance .
From the first few days of experience all i say is it works grt , Take my suggestion even though a bit costly for some , its worth it for mobility. its real good , i get a download speed of 120KBPS average that’s 120 * 8 , 960kbps , not bad and no disconnection as such. have taken it to noida also , works grt even there.
Tcare and i suggest you buy the bet , but don’t kick me if its not as smooth a ride for you, its Ur bad luck.
Ill be ready for help , please post in the reply.
BTW, To my knowledge i am the First in Delhi to use reliance NetConnect Broadband+ under Linux and post about it. Even The guys at reliance outlet said you cant, and were not ready to sell saying ill waste money. But i did it. U c at least a distinction in something.
PROBLEM AND SOLUTION:
1.Firefox or ping doesn’t respond . FF doesnt load any page, says offline. Actually many application like evolution , pidgin also don work.
Sol: TEMP solution for Firefox only : SET toolkit.NetworkManager.disable to TRUE in about:config. It should run fine .
Type about:config in awesome bar accept the Warning search for toolkit.networkmanager.disable to TRUE.
WARNING: This step will diable Network Managers process of notifing offline/online status to any other application(when it ask for).Though it wont affect Your normal work in anyway.
gksudo gedit /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf
(note: path might differ for your Linux distribution – try locate NetworkManager.conf).
2.Then replace all lines of
NOTE: There are 3 of them in the file , search throughly.
Save the changes and either reboot or just stop/kill/restart the running instance of NetworkManager. This change will stop NetworkManager from notifying FireFox/Pidgin/Evolution and other desktop applications about the presence/absence of internet connection – and FireFox will no longer start in Offline mode.